If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, EU fluorinated gas (F gas) and ozone-depleting substances (ODS) regulations will no longer apply.

The Government has released regulatory guidance on future use and trading in F Gas and ODS in the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal on 30 March 2019.

New UK regulations will transfer most of the requirements of the EU regulations into UK law, which will make the transition easier for all businesses in the supply chain.

F gas and ODS are substances used mainly as refrigerants, but also in other products including:

  • medical inhalers

  • fire extinguishers

  • insulation foams

  • solvents

  • feedstocks for the manufacture of other chemicals.

Most of the rules for F gas and ODS will not change. The UK will continue to:

  • continue to restrict the use of ODS

  • use EU phase down schedule for hydrofluorocarbons ((HFCs), the most common type of F gas) by 79% by 2030 relative to a 2009 to 2012 baseline

  • reduce F Gas to 63% of the baseline in 2019 and 2020 and reduce further to 45% of the baseline in 2021.

Businesses that trade in F Gas and ODS will still need to comply with EU regulations on products they place on the EU market after exit.

However, the UK will have separate quota systems, and the IT systems UK businesses use to manage quotas and report on use will change. New UK regulations will transfer most of the requirements of the EU regulations into UK law.

The UK will manage its own quota systems when we leave the EU. Businesses that produce, import or export HFCs (the main class of F gases) or ODS, or products containing HFCs or ODS, you’ll need to apply for a:

  • UK quota to place them on the UK market

  • EU quota to place them on the EU market.

This affects all businesses that:

  • produce, supply, import, export or use bulk F gas or ODS

  • manufacture or import equipment containing F gas or ODS.

You can use this guide if you service:

  • commercial, industrial and transport refrigeration and air conditioning systems

  • other products containing F gas or ODS.

Businesses that import or export ODS, including to and from the EU, will also need to apply for a UK import or export licence.

A full version of Government guidance for businesses that currently follow EU regulations on F Gas and ODS is available here.

Last reviewed 9 January 2019