Last reviewed 8 October 2021

Following the Prime Minister’s announcement that a number of EU drivers would be given short-term visas to help overcome the current shortages in the transport sector, details have been published about how these drivers can be employed.

A guide produced by the Department for Transport (DfT), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Home Office is available at GOV.UK.

It states that the temporary visa scheme is expected to open at 4pm on 11 October 2021.

The guide explains that employers can apply for workers with a temporary visa if they need:

  • poultry workers

  • HGV drivers to transport food goods — large goods vehicle (occupation code 8211).

To recruit temporary workers, it is necessary to contact a scheme operator (via the above link) as the application process varies for each of the four operators: AG Recruitment; Concordia; Fruitful Jobs; and Pro-Force.

Employers are advised to ask these operators about their temporary visa scheme, how much the process costs and how to apply. They will all recruit both poultry workers (5500 visas available) and HGV food drivers (4700 visas).

HGV food drivers allocated through the scheme must have an HGV licence recognised for use in the UK. The scheme applies to EU, EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Swiss licence holders only.

They must hold an HGV (category C or C+E) licence.