Last reviewed 10 January 2022

Including information on choosing what training is needed and finding a training provider, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has published a guide that explains how to qualify to drive dangerous goods vehicles.

Available at, the guide explains how to become ADR qualified.

ADR refers to “Accord européen relatif au transport international des marchandises Dangereuses par Route”, the French title of the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road which has been in force in this sector for more than 60 years.

The guide includes information on getting an ADR card and keeping it up to date, replacing a card, staying qualified by taking refresher training and adding substance classes to an existing ADR card.

The DVSA highlights that anyone wanting to transport dangerous goods in a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) as the main part of their job will need to be qualified as an HGV driver and have a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

Once qualified as an ADR driver, they will be able to transport one or more of these dangerous goods:

  • explosives;

  • gases;

  • flammable liquids;

  • flammable solids;

  • oxidising substances;

  • toxic substances;

  • radioactive substances; and

  • corrosive substances.

However, to transport petrol and any other petroleum-based fuels such as diesel, they will also need to get a Petroleum Driver Passport (for full details, see

In England, drivers can use Skills Bootcamps to help them to qualify to transport dangerous goods. These are free, and include courses that will lead to the ADR qualification for those who already have an HGV licence.

Details of providers can be found at