Last reviewed 2 September 2021

Drivers and operators need to be aware which documents should be carried if they are running bus or coach services that cross any international borders.

The latest guidance on this subject, available - here, is produced by the Department for Transport (DfT), the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and covers tachograph requirements, drivers’ hours rules, green cards and visas.

Professional coach drivers who are driving abroad for work are also reminded that they can take a free Covid test at haulier advice sites.

Details of these sites are available – here – and drivers must show proof of identity and be driving abroad for work within 72 hours of the test.

Required documents

If driving a bus or coach between countries, the following documents are required:

  • a valid UK driving licence

  • an international driving permit (IDP) if one for the countries being visited requires one

  • a valid Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) card

  • a valid passport

  • healthcare documents (including insurance, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)).

While IDPs are not needed to drive in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, they might be needed in some EU countries (and Norway) if the driver has a paper driving licence or a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.