Last reviewed 14 August 2019

Updated advice for UK bus or coach drivers has been published explaining what they need to do to drive professionally in the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Published by the Department for Transport (DfT), the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain, this includes a link where drivers can sign up for email alerts giving the latest information.

The guide, which is available at GOV.UK website, gives details of driving licences and international driving permits (IDPs).

It also highlights that the UK will still recognise Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) qualifications from EU countries after Brexit but that the EU will not recognise UK Driver CPC qualifications.

“Consider exchanging your UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU Driver CPC qualification before Brexit,” the guide suggests. “This will make sure you can still work for EU and UK companies after Brexit.”

However, it also points out that the UK will join the Interbus Agreement if there is a no-deal Brexit which will mean that drivers will then be able to drive for a UK company in the EU and European Economic Area (EEA) with a UK Driver CPC qualification.

The guide warns drivers that they may need to renew their British passports earlier if they are travelling after a no-deal Brexit but reassures them that they will not need a visa for short trips.

According to European Commission proposals, they should be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Other matters covered by the guide include accidents and insurance and healthcare (European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)) cards may no longer be valid.

See also UK bus and coach operators working in the EU after Brexit.