Last reviewed 15 February 2021
A Romanian worker completing snagging work on a replacement roof in May 2017 was fatally injured when he fell six metres while working on a property in Kirkdale, Liverpool.
Liverpool Crown Court was told that the roofer had accessed a part of the old roof made of fragile asbestos cement sheets, which gave way. He fell through the sheets to the ground below, sustaining serious injuries from which he later died in hospital.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the area accessed did not have safety nets fitted and the building occupier failed to take reasonably practicable measures to reduce the risk to those working on the roof.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Andrew McGrory said: “Businesses have a responsibility to ensure that the contractor they select to undertake any construction work devise safe methods of doing so, which should include providing the necessary information to their workers and ensuring that they are adequately supervised”.
The owners of the building, Liverpool-based Pearsons Glass, pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974, s.3. The company was fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £6656.
The prosecution of the roofing contractor is ongoing.