Last reviewed 6 May 2021

Enviraz (Scotland) Ltd, an asbestos removal contractor, has been fined after one worker was fatally injured and another seriously injured in a gas explosion.

Hamilton Sheriff’s Court heard how on 5 October 2017, workers were removing a boiler and pipework, and overspraying walls to remove asbestos residue, at a former Pastoral Centre when they cut through a live gas outlet pipe and the gas ignited causing an explosion. Two workers received extensive burns to their body and underwent surgery. One of the employees died in hospital several days after the incident.

This incident could have been avoided had the gas pipe in the boiler room been isolated and purged prior to removal. Within the asbestos licensing regime, contractors have a duty to have adequate management arrangements in place to control non-asbestos risks.

The company pleaded guilty to breaching s.2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974. The company was fined £150,000.