British citizens are exempt from immigration control — they can automatically settle and work in the UK. In general, nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA) — the EU states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland — have an automatic right to work and to look for work in any of the EEA countries, known as the right of free movement. These citizens will be affected by Brexit — the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

When overseas nationals from outside the EU or EEA wish to come and work in the UK, they require permission to do so. Usually, this will be through a certificate of sponsorship, issued by an employer which is licensed to sponsor migrant workers. This topic covers those legal requirements, including checking a person’s right to work in the UK, details coming changes to the regime and the exceptions to it.

Want to read more?

This content requires a Croner-i subscription.

No subscription?

Contact us to discuss your requirements.

Talk to us on

live chat

Call an Expert:

0800 231 5199