The licensing requirements for each type of material played/shown is different, as follows:

  • Radio — for the playing of recorded music by radio, compact disc or video/DVD player, a licence issued by PRS for Music is required to protect the rights of the composers/authors. PRS for Music, tel: 020 7580 5544, website:

  • Audio — for the playing of cassettes or compact discs of artistes, whether originals or copies, a licence issued by Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) is required to cover the royalty payments to composers and publishers of the music played. Phonographic Performance Ltd, tel: 020 7534 1000, website:

Want to read more?

This content requires a Croner-i subscription.

No Subscription?


Contact us to discuss your requirements.

Book a demo
Call an Expert:

0800 231 5199

Talk to us on

live chat