This toolkit provides guidance for all businesses regarding their duties under the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations.

What are the WEEE Regulations?

The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2013 require all businesses to ensure that their WEEE is segregated from other waste and sent for recycling at an Approved Authorised Treatment Facility (AATF). “Producers” of WEEE, ie manufacturers and importers, must finance the collection and recycling of WEEE. Retailers and other distributors have an obligation to take back WEEE from their customers, either in-store or indirectly as part of the national Distributor Takeback Scheme (DTS).

Why do you need to take action?

It is a criminal offence to breach the regulations. Recycling WEEE keeps valuable resources within the economy.

What you need to do?

All businesses

  1. Avoid producing WEEE

    Reduce waste by choosing durable items, or products which can be repaired or upgraded. Investigate leasing arrangements or other business models where the supplier retains ownership of the equipment.

  2. When buying electrical and electronic equipment, note the identity of the supplier and their Producer Registration Number, issued by their Producer Compliance Scheme (PCS).

    Suppliers are responsible for financing the recycling of the equipment when it becomes waste; if you do not know who the supplier is, these costs could fall to your business.

    Suppliers are required to inform you of their producer registration number issued by the PCS.

  3. Identify WEEE produced within your organisation

    WEEE includes: “white goods” such as fridges; small consumer electricals such as kettles; office equipment such as photocopiers; all IT equipment; power tools; lighting.

    WEEE does not include: large stationary plant and machinery; defence equipment; electric vehicles.

    For more details, see Equipment Affected and EEE covered by the WEEE Regulations. Also see Electrical and electronic equipment.

  4. Identify any hazardous WEEE

    WEEE classified as hazardous waste includes fluorescent lights and old monitors with cathode ray tubes. This must be kept separate from general WEEE. (For more on hazardous waste see Duties under the Hazardous Waste Regulations.)

  5. Segregate WEEE and store it in a dedicated area

    Store WEEE safely and securely, segregating hazardous from non-hazardous WEEE. Avoid damaging items which are suitable for reuse or refurbishment (ie do not just throw all items into a skip).

  6. Find out the suppliers’ arrangements for collection

    If the item was supplied after 2005, the supplier is responsible for financing the collection and recycling; however, they can contract out of this responsibility. For older items, the last holder (your business) is responsible.

    Normally, the supplier’s PCS will collect the items.

    The PCS may collect large items from your premises but more usually they will expect you to take WEEE to a nearby collection facility. Small items of WEEE are collected at local authority recycling centres.

Producers of WEEE

  1. Determine if you are a producer

    As well as manufacturers and importers, “producers” include those who rebrand items.

  2. Register with a Producer Compliance Scheme (PCS) or the National Packaging Waste Database

    Producers who place more than 5 tonnes per year of electrical and electronic equipment on the market must register with a compliance scheme. The schemes collect household WEEE on behalf of their members and arrange for its recycling at an approved ATF.

    The scheme will require information on the amount and nature of electrical and electronic equipment that you place on the market.

    “Small producers” register directly with the regulator via the National Packaging Waste Database.

    “Small producers” are only responsible for the take-back of business-to-business WEEE though they must provide data about all the EEE they place on the market. They can still join a PCS if they wish.

  3. Provide customers with your producer registration number

    This will enable them to identify your PCS when the item reaches end-of-life.

  4. Consider introducing a WEEE Policy for your company

    Having a company policy shows those both within, and outside, your organisation, that you understand and comply with your duties with regard to WEEE. See here for a sample Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Producers) Policy.

Distributors of WEEE

  1. Determine whether you are a distributor

    “Distributors” include retailers, wholesalers and distance sellers (selling over the internet).

  2. Takeback household WEEE

    You must provide a means for your customers to return household WEEE.

    The simplest option is to join the national DTS which will collect WEEE on your behalf.

    Alternatively, you can offer an in-store takeback scheme. You must take back items which are broadly equivalent to the new items that customers are purchasing — eg an old VHS video recorder in place of a new DVD player.

    Retailers with a floor area of more than 400m2 who are not members of the DTS must take back very small WEEE free of charge, even if the customer is not buying an equivalent item. Very small WEEE means items with no dimension exceeding 25cm.

    Online sellers can offer a free postal takeback service.

  3. Provide information to customers

    1. All distributors must provide information which will enable customers to identify, segregate and take back their WEEE. This can be in the form of a poster, leaflet or (for distance sellers) information on a website. See more here on WEEE Distributor Obligations and obligations of retailers and online sellers. See Retailers’ obligations under the WEEE Regulations and WEEE take-back obligations.


Use the Employee Factsheet, and Producer Responsibility Training Presentation to inform others within your organisation of their responsibilities with regard to WEEE. Both can be downloaded and edited to suit your business requirements.

Useful Q&As

Waste carrier registration — a new extension is being built onto our premises. If we remove some of the construction waste using our own vehicle, will we have to register as upper-tier waste carriers? This is a fairly small, one-off project and we only envisage making a few trips to the waste site.

Donating old office furniture for reuse? — our office premises are undergoing a major refurbishment with much of the furniture being replaced. We would like to donate the old furniture for reuse; are there any issues of legal liability that need to be taken into account?

Retailers’ obligations under the WEEE Regulations — are all retailers legally obliged to have a collection bin for waste electrical goods from consumers?

Waste ink and toner cartridges — are toner and ink cartridges counted as waste electrical and electronic equipment?

Last reviewed 4 February 2022